New Heights Charter School Board of Trustees
June Board Meeting
Date and Time
Tuesday June 27, 2023 at 5:00 PM
1105 W Chestnut St
Brockton, MA 02301
New Heights Board of Trustees
June 27th, 2023
Starting Time: 5:00pm
Location: 1105 W Chestnut Street
Brockton, MA 02301
Join Zoom Meeting
D. Sauvignon (remote), G. Phillips, J. Charnel (remote), N. Christ (remote), S. Bernard, S. Jackson (remote), V. Marturano
G. Bengen, M. Sullivan
Trustees who arrived after the meeting opened
Ex Officio Members Present
Non Voting Members Present
J. Geier (remote), J. Vega (remote), K. Kendrick, M. Fernandes, M. Tracey (remote), S. Graham (remote), W. Libby (remote)
I. Opening Items
Call the Meeting to Order
Approved Board Members List
Reading and Approval of Minutes
II. Executive Director's Report
- 720 enrolled at the end of the school year
- Have accepted 134 students for next year, have 424 students on the waitlist for next school year
- When do students have to accept the acceptance?
- They have 3 days to accept or decline
- Do we over enroll knowing some won't accept?
- Yes, have some families who go through the enrollment process and don't come at the beginning of the year.
June Events Recap
- Kandice Sumner presented a recap of June events
- Senior BBQ
- Senior Awards
- Dream Big Field Trip
- Brockton Community Access Field Trip
- Queens Breakfast
- Multicultural Night
- New Student Acceptance Day
- 10th Grade DC Trip
- MLL/Math Scholar Success Showcase
III. Old Business
FY24 Org Chart
- Will presented the Org Chart for FY24
- What does "District" mean?
- Non-student facing members, day to day responsibilities don't interact with students.
- Are they at the 1105 W. Chestnut location?
- For the most part, Maria will have an office at the school
- How many staff are in the organization?
- We have 131 staff, includes some part time roles
- What was it last year?
- We had 135
- Do you anticipate a need in coming years for more staff or will we cut staff?
- Difficult to forecast based on surrounding city budgets but anticipate being level staffed.
- Are we comfortable that we're not overstaffed?
- Based on student needs, believe we are appropriately staffed. Could be understaffed in certain areas but have a plan to cover these
- Is there someone who is evaluating all employees and their time?
- Yes. It is not possible for someone to not be in without everyone being notified immediately that someone is not in.
- Are we comfortable that issues can be identified before they become a bigger issue?
- OW - I've had the opportunity over the past few months to have conversations with every staff member. Helped to discover where discontent may have been and are working with full leadership to fix those issues.
IV. New Business
- Jess presented the Annual Report and the reasoning behind writing it
HS Dress Code
V. Academic Excellence Committee
- Committee heard a report on the enrollment process as well as summer programs. Maria and Omari recapped the information for the full board. The presentation given to the committee can be found here: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1npGfBlbauHqdC7zk9OhkG_o0JqHq91yehDv3lbb4T1Y/edit?usp=sharing and here: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1I9SDVaDSVg8cn8rCY6feuOujL9LzyC712bZXx9FRoQU/edit?usp=sharing
- Are we accepting students in the school outside of the beginning of the year?
- Yes, up until March 1st we fill any open spots with students on the waiting list.
- There are currently a lot of families living in hotels in Taunton. Do we have any of those students enrolled?
- Just now getting records so we will know more about this in August.
VI. Finance Committee
- No material change, everything is inline through May and the June numbers will come in August. Expect to end the year in the black and be a bit more positive than what is reflected now. Still waiting for final numbers to come but is close to the original forecast.
- Where does the money go when there's a surplus?
- Goes into cash reserves.
- Can we carry the surplus into the following year?
- Because it's state and federal dollars you are supposed to spend the money. Can't roll the money into the next year's budget.
VII. Governance Committee
- Board retreat will happen on Tuesday, August 22nd 10am-3pm at 1105 W Chestnut St
- Agenda will come but will spend a lot of time around school organization/structure, role of the board and expectations
- Expectation is that all board members are in attendance