

Lorna James-Cervantes, President  
Dr. Alain Bengochea, Secretary  
Jamie Gonzales, Treasurer  
Nicole Thompson, Officer  
Dachresha Harris, Officer  
Dr. Alee Moore, Officer  
Astrid Angulo, Officer  
Meli Pulido, Officer

Miriam Benitez, Executive Director



## **Strong Start Academy Elementary School Board Meeting Minutes May 9, 2024 5:00 PM**

Lorna: This is Lorna James-Cervantes. I'm calling the meeting of Strong Start Academy Elementary School Board to order at this time. It's 5:00 on May the 9th. And thank you, everybody. We'll start with roll call at this time. This is Lorna James-Cervantes. Jaime Gonzalez.

Jaime: Present.

Lorna: Astrid Angulo.

Astrid: Present.

Lorna: Alee Moore.

Alee: Present.

Lorna: Meli Pulido. Not present. Dachresha Harris.

Dachresha: Present.

Lorna: Nicole Thompson.

Nicole: Present.

Lorna: Alain Bengochea.

Alain: Present.

Lorna: Thank you. We have quorum at the meeting. So, we'll move to item C. This is public comment. Comment during this portion of the agenda must be limited to matters on the agenda for action. If you wish to be heard, come forward and give your name for the record. The amount of discussion as well as the amount of time any single speaker is allowed will be limited to two minutes absent board approval.

Public comment may also be given by calling 1415 655 0001 and entering access code number 2662 249 6166 followed by #. Is there any public comment at this time? Seeing none in the room and none was sent in, we will close public comment at this time. Now, let's move to item D. This is approval of the minutes from our May meeting. Hopefully, everyone had the opportunity to look through the minutes prior to the meeting today.

Alain: April meeting.

Lorna: Thank you. For the April meeting. This is May. Thank you. April 18th. Hopefully, you all had the opportunity to look through the minutes prior to the meeting today, and if so, we would appreciate a motion to approve the minutes as submitted.

Jaime: This is Jaime Gonzalez for the record. I move that we approve the April 18th, 2024 minutes.

Lorna: Thank you. Is there a second to that motion?

Nicole: [inaudible 00:02:51] motion. [crosstalk 00:02:53.394] April.

Lorna: Thank you, Nicole. Thank you. All right. At this time, all those in favor?

Jaime: Aye.

Nicole: Aye.

Lorna: Any opposed? Okay, that motion passes. Thank you, everybody. Now, we'll move to item 2A. This is a report by Kristin Dietz from EdTec on budget and finance reports including the CSP grant.

Kristin: Hey, everybody. This is Kristin Dietz for the record, on my report. Here we go. Okay. And today we have the financial presentation with updated forecast for the current year with actual through March 31st and the final budget for your consideration for next year. In terms of our current forecast, we are now forecasting net income of \$148,656. This is a change of about \$46,000 from the board-approved budget. In terms of what changed from last month to this month, on the next slide, we had only about a \$5,000 adjustment for a couple of items. We had some staffing adjustments and timing of hiring folks. And then we also received a little bit of additional special ed funding from the state and that was offset by some increase audit fees that were a little bit above what we had budgeted. But overall, not much of a change from month to month and still reflecting a solid net income for the year of just under \$149,000.

And in terms of our grants, we continue to spend now on the grants and we anticipate spending everything that is left to spend by the due dates. Our largest grant being the CSP grant, we do continue to spend now and that will expire at the end of July. Right now, we are submitting reimbursements quarterly on this and our next reimbursement submission will be in July. So, we do anticipate having no issues spending down those funds. And this is just a little bit more detail of what remains in terms of that CSP grant. Our cash balances remain strong with the ending of the year with over 170 days cash on hand, which is really, really positive. So, that looks really good.

The purple line here is three months of overall expenses and the blue line is three months of payroll. So you can see that overall we've been able to maintain a cash reserve that exceeds three months worth of

expenses. This here is our balance sheet reflecting this number, \$1.8 million in cash balances at the end of March. We did have some accounts receivable of \$140,000, all of which was collectible, and it comes in within 30 to 45 days of when we submit for it. And then the other current asset here, we have a security deposit, but most of this is last year's PERS expense that was paid and is sitting as an asset on the balance sheet. And the way PERS gets reported in Nevada is based on your share of pool fund for the PERS obligations. And because you were a first-year school last year, we did not have any share in that fund because it always is looking back one year to the previous year.

So, when we go through this coming audit for the current fiscal year, we will see additional assets and additional liabilities related to the PERS obligation. Until then, this number just stays as is until we get the audit adjustment at the end of the year. In terms of current liabilities, we have accounts payable of about \$49,000 and that is, I think, everything notable on that sheet. Any questions before I move into the final budget?

Lorna: This is Lorna. I don't see any in this room and I don't see anybody online looking like they are raising their hand. Is that correct?

Kristin: Okay. I will move right into the slides for the final budget for next year. So, this here is a slide showing the enrollment counts that we're using for the final budget. This second column here includes enrollment of 220 students. This is a slight increase from what we had included in the tentative budget. It's more in line with what it looks like is likely for next year. And then we also have for information, the next two years of assumptions around enrollment and eligible student counts. Our state PCFP funding rate is \$9,414. This is your largest portion of your revenues that you get from state and federal sources. And this number came from the legislative decisions last year. And so we don't anticipate this number changing. For the future years, we have estimated a 3% increase in that rate.

And then all of these assumptions are the same as what I have shared for the tentative budget. We do have to wait for the funding. We have state special ed funding based on prior year student special ed populations. And then our federal grant funds are based on the preliminary allocations that SPCSA has granted to the school and we've already submitted the applications and they are at the state awaiting approval at this point. And just to note about the Titles I through IV and the IDEA, those preliminary allocations are likely to be pretty low compared to what we actually will receive. It will do a trip in the fall after the October count day happens. And so we should expect to see some increases. But for conservative purposes, we are only including in this budget what has been provided to us as a preliminary allocation.

And then in terms of our local funding, we have the city of Las Vegas Grant for the agreed timing plan for that money. In terms of expenses, the salary assumptions include 8% increase and the 3% increase for the years thereafter. And then this budget does include the addition of three teachers and one special ed teacher. And our health and welfare expense cost is estimated to be a 10% increase over the current year. And our PERS rates are currently at the current rates until we get additional information from the data PERS. And then our other expenses, we have used a 3% inflation rate and for any non-fixed or non-contracted costs, we have used drivers based on student increases or staff increases accordingly.

And with those assumptions, we are looking at our final budgeted overall revenue of \$1,185,153 and total budgeted expenses of \$3,935,045 for a net income budgeted of \$250,128. This compares to the tentative budget, which we shared with the board last month and the main changes being that we increase the enrollment based on what we now know as is likely to be the enrollment counts for next year. And we have a little bit of staffing adjustment based on student count as well and some student-driven cost adjustments. But overall, a stronger net income plan for next year based on our latest assumptions. And then I did include here and on the next slide, a multi-year budget.

You can see that we are anticipating maintaining a reasonably good net income in the following years as well. And overall the fund balance is looking really, really strong. And then just in terms of the process itself, so as this board meeting today is the date of the final budget for the board's consideration for approval, the board is to approve a budget in May as the final budget. And then we have until June 8th, I believe June 10th because the 8th is the weekend, we have until June 10th to submit the final budget to state and to SPCSA. And then we'll continue to refine and update assumptions as we move through the year and bring forth amendments as it makes sense to. So, that is it for the final budget. Any questions or anything that I can help clarify on this?

Lorna: This is Lorna. Thank you for that report, Kristin. I think that makes it very clear to me, but I would like to open the floor in case any board members have questions about the amended final budget at this time. Okay. Hearing none, we do need to vote to adopt this budget if it is satisfactory to all of the board members this evening. So I would appreciate a motion to approve the tentative budget of Strong Start, the final budget for 2024/25.

Jaime: Is it the final budget that we're approving or the tentative budget?

Lorna: Sorry. This is the final budget.

Jaime: Final budget. Okay. This is Jaime Gonzalez for the record. I move that we approve the final budget for the 2024/2025 school year.

Lorna: Thank you. Is there a second to that motion?

Alain: I second.

Lorna: I think I heard Dr. Bengochea second that motion, is that correct? Yes. Okay. So that has been moved and seconded. All those in favor.

Jaime: Aye.

Nicole: Aye.

Lorna: Are there any opposed? Okay. Hearing no opposition, that motion passes at this time. Thank you. This is Lorna for the record again. I do have one little question to ask while we're on finance and budget, and that is, have we had any update or word from the city as far as the additional funding that you were requesting for Strong Start?

Alee: I'm so sorry. Can you repeat that? Sounds like there's something else.

Lorna: It's okay. Was there any update on the additional funding that was requested for Strong Start at this time?

Alee: No. Alee Moore for the record. We were given a preliminary May 1 date to take council meeting for approval. That did not happen at May 1, so I hope is in two weeks for the next budget meeting.

Lorna: Okay. Thank you. I just wanted to make sure we asked and keep that on our radar. Thank you. All right. With that, we will move to item number three. This is our executive updates with the report by the executive director on the status of fiscal year...sorry, of the ongoing marketing efforts, open enrollment, recruiting, student population demographics, and student retention.

Miriam: Miriam Benitez for the record. So, our recruiting is on its way. We're still in our active phase with ads on Facebook, Google, and the OTT, on the different streaming channels. Our current enrollment has not changed. We're still at 149 students. And then our 24/25 applications, we are up to 200 total students enrolled. And the exciting news about that is when we submitted our last amendment, enrollment amendment, we had projected at 206, so we're already at 200. So, I don't think we're gonna need an amendment this upcoming year unless it's to amend to boost up. But we have that 10% window. So, it's still early because our busiest months that we've seen these past two years has been June and July. And so we're already this far in enrollment in May.

So, everything's looking very positive and we're looking like we might have... Well, for sure, kindergarten's gonna be completely full with 60 students. The only reason that number is low, because again, we're in the middle of the process where we're waiting for parents to either accept or not accept, and then we go to the next applicant and we have 17 on the wait list thus far. And in first grade, some of those kindergartners have siblings, so we're kind of in the middle there too waiting to see if the kindergartners are gonna accept. If not, we have other kindergartners with siblings. So, we kind of have a wait list because of those siblings of six more first graders, two more second graders, and a couple more fourth graders. So every day our numbers keep going up, so everything's looking very positive.

Lorna: Okay. Thank you, Miriam, for that report. Any questions from any of the board members with regard to this report? I just wanna say that this is looking very positive, especially compared to the last two years where we were really concerned about enrollment and not getting the numbers of students in that we needed to. So, it looks like we are definitely on the right track with our marketing work and the other work that has been happening to date.

Jaime: Gonzalez for the record. Just a question for you, Miriam. Just based on what Lorna was just saying, do you have data or a sense of what factors are contributing to us now being really at where we expect to be in terms of student data? In other words, is it Facebook, is it Graphicka, or is it word of mouth that is...?

Miriam: So, we have that question on the application and really what we've seen an increase is word of mouth. So, you know, we've been now two years, parents are happy, they tell their neighbors, tell other parents. So, a lot of our families, they've heard about us from a family or a friend.

Lorna: Good to know. This is Lorna, that's good to know Miriam. And so maybe what we do in future years then is we look at our marketing budget and say, "Does it need to stay where it is, or it is word of

mouth really getting as what we need and we don't need as much of a budget in marketing and we can adjust those funds somewhere else?" So that's a good point, Jaime.

Miriam: Anyone else?

Jaime: Thank you.

Lorna: Any other comments or questions? This is Lorna again. I just wanna say I actually met with Alice Roybal-Benson last Sunday. She is working at Cristo Rey St. Viator's Campus. It's a high school that's really intended to serve underserved populations. And I mentioned to her that if there are siblings of students there looking for a bilingual start to their education to send them our way. And she was really excited about that connection. So, that could be a connection that we could continue to take a look at. And if you would like, I did get her card, Miriam. And she'd like that for just a little contact information.

All right. Given that I see no other questions or hands raised, we'll move on to item number four, governance. This is a discussion regarding next steps for committees on the executive director evaluation, policy review committee outreach, and board meeting calendar to include action items and timelines. So, at this time, we'd appreciate hearing from each one of the committees to see what work has been completed by the committees at this time, what your plans are moving forward, and what we should see as next steps. So, is there any committee that would like to start?

Alee: We can start, I suppose. Nicole and I are on this policy committee that [inaudible 00:20:21]. And you talked about what's been done. So, we've gone through and kind of filled out some of the policies and Colleen has gone through and made some edits and asked some questions and then we ask our own questions. And so we're in the process of trying to figure out what the next steps are in terms of making some committees. They need to be either a disciplinary committee or some other type of terms that feels a little more positive, something that I brought up. We'll also need a board safety committee that's made of the board members and then we'll go through also to make sure things are aligned with some policies and standards, the handbook. So, that's next steps for us. So still not complete, but that's what's happened so far.

Lorna: Thank you, Alee, for that report. I appreciate it. So, will your committee need a little bit of time, and you don't have to answer this now, you could maybe answer it at the next item, but will we need a little bit of time maybe at the board retreat to start working through some of those committees or those next steps for you all?

Alee: That makes sense. That makes sense. Especially because we'll have to...as I mentioned, some board members have to have some discussions as a collective about some stuff with our executive director to make sure that things are aligned and that we have enough staff, personnel to handle other committees and be a part of a real process on site. So yeah, that would be a collective conversation.

Lorna: Okay. Thank you. That's perfect. So, let's not lose track of that when we go to our next item, which we'll be drafting that agenda. Okay. So, we heard from the policy review, what about community outreach? I think that was Meli and who else was on the committee with her? One thing I did hear from, this is Lorna again for the record, I did hear from Meli that she wouldn't be here tonight. When I asked her if she did have anything, you know, on her part for the committee update, she said she can work with TV, radio, and print outreach, you know, just to get positive workout aside from our marketing. But

she would definitely like some assistance, and maybe this is again a jumping-off place for the board retreat, for the idea of beginning to work on some fundraising and development for the board which was one of the items in BoardOnTrack.

I kind of put a few things that I thought might possibly be goals, but of course, it's up to the committee to determine yes, we like that goal or no, we don't. But I thought maybe we better start thinking long term and if we expect for the school to continue, we are going to have to get to a point where we start maybe doing some fundraising beyond what we already have. So that's something to consider as a committee, is that plan for longevity moving forward. All right. Jaime, would you like to report on the executive director evaluation or would you like me to?

Jaime: Well, I think we both can. I'll certainly jump off and say that the work that Lorna and I have been doing is really sort of building towards our retreat in July where as an agenda item or as part of the agenda, we would really kick off the process for executive director evaluation, beginning with as a group, ensuring that we agree and that includes Miriam as well, agree and document, you know, goals and objectives for the coming year, any developmental work, any performance data that we want to ensure that's tracked and any additional feedback or cadence for that feedback that would take place throughout the year, whether that's from teachers to Miriam, whether it's from the parent community, whether that's from the board to Miriam. So sort of walking through all of that and making sure that we have approval on that overall process and then actually beginning the process at that meeting with the agreement on goals and responsibilities for the coming year. So I think we'll be ready to launch that or brief that to the larger board in July.

Lorna: Thank you. This is Lorna. And the only thing I would add is that we have been working on drafting an evaluation for this 23/24 school year. And at that same time we would like maybe in a small work session that we pull aside or at the board to just finalize that evaluation for the year. And one thing that we recognize is the most evaluations have goals for the next year in it. So, of course, adding those goals that we created at the board retreat, those would be added in at that time. Are there any questions for us? Okay. Thank you. At our last meeting, we did approve our board meeting calendar for the coming school year. So, I think that has gone on and we could probably actually even maybe remove that committee on future agendas since it's kind of a one-time-a-year theme. All right. Hearing no other... Oh, sorry. Angela.

Angela: Just a quick question. Angela Rose for the record. You added a facilities committee with me and Missy on BoardOnTrack, right?

Lorna: Actually... This is Lorna. Yes, I did. Thank you for that. And the reason I did that, and I hope it's okay with everyone else, I did add for Angela and Missy because I know that they have been reporting to us on where we are with facilities and helping us to track the construction and those things. Do you need a board member to sit on that committee with you, you feel?

Angela: I don't think so right now, just because we're kind of going through on my end. But if you'd like to put one on there, I update our council offices every month on the facility updates anyway, so I can simply put that in this facility update. But then if you wanna put a board member on with us, that's definitely...

Lorna: Well, since they're board committees, it probably would be a good idea for us to have one board member who would at least sit on the committee with you and oversee and help you to determine, you know, things to bring back and forth just so we always have someone there. Is there a board member who specifically would like to be a part of that committee? I mean, if need be... If it needs to be me, I could be the connection to that, you know, to that committee with you. So what I could do is add myself to that committee, but it would be good if somebody else wanted to. Astrid, I know I kind of, without asking you, added you to the community outreach. So, is that okay with you or would you prefer to be on facilities?

Astrid: Anything. I'll go ahead and just be there overlooking stuff.

Lorna: On the community outreach or the facility?

Astrid: [inaudible 00:28:16].

Lorna: Okay. I have to tell you my thinking behind that was that as our parent member, that you're a big part of the community and you are there every day at school. And so thinking about having somebody who's a parent, who has access to what the parents and the community of parents and students are interested in, that was my thinking behind that. Dachresha, did I add you to a committee? Are you looking for a committee?

Dachresha: Of course, you have to add me. I just was listening to the conversation, but I could be on the committee with Angela. That's not a problem.

Lorna: Okay, perfect. Then I will add you to the facilities committee. Just to make sure, since they are board committees, we should always have at least one board member, I think, on the committee. Okay. Thank you. And we can discuss all of this work further as we are going on and I just think it's important for us to continue this work and to start spreading it out a little bit so that no one board member feels like they're having to do an inordinate amount of the lift for the rest of us, but also that we're drawing on each other's strengths in doing this work.

All right. So our next item today is to move to create or at least an outline of our July board retreat. Again, that retreat is going to be on July 25th. It will be a full-day retreat, and we are planning to have it be in-person retreat as we did last year because we know that there may be some items where we need to have longer discussion or a little bit more time to work together as a team. And just being able to be in person is such an important part of that work. We will send an invitation out fairly soon. There will be breakfast and lunch at the retreat, so you don't have to worry about that part of it. We'll make sure we take care of that. And with that said, let's go ahead and just take a look.

In the packet, I gave you two things with regard to this item. One is the basic outline of what we did in our retreat last year. It was the agenda. And I also gave you the PowerPoint from last year that we followed throughout the meeting to help us out with understanding where we were, where we started, where we've come from. So, I thought we could at least use it as a jumping-off point. So, I think my personal preference, if it is okay with everyone else, is that any time I do a meeting, no matter how long I've known people, I think we need to start the day with a little bit of an icebreaker and just an opportunity to get to know each other a little bit better. So if it is okay with you, we'll go ahead and leave that on.



Also, one of the things that we did last year was an opportunity for past successes and celebrations. And it's always important, I think, as a group to look at what you've done well at the end of the year or at the beginning of the year, what you think maybe we should have changed or would change, and maybe also areas where we would like to grow. And it's always important for us to celebrate successes, of course. So, is that acceptable to everyone? We go ahead and continue with that idea? Yes?

Jaime: Mm-hmm.

Lorna: All right. Now, we've already looked at our board member expectations and agreements and Alee and Dachresha created that board for us, especially for onboarding new board members to the board. Is there a need to continue with that work or just to remind each other of what our expectations are and what we've agreed to do as board members? Or do we feel like we could maybe strike that? Is there something we should replace it with?

Alee: Alee Moore for the record. Are you hinting at, like, maybe a reminder as an annual reminder or something?

Lorna: I was wondering, should we do an annual reminder just, you know, bring out our board member agreement as an annual reminder or do we not need that? I'm just asking. I don't know what we need.

Alee: It won't hurt. You know, if you imagine you can [inaudible 00:33:24].

Jaime: Jaime Gonzalez for the record. I think to that then sort of a compromise position would be if we have a packet of information that's going out ahead of time, whether it's pre-reading or things like that, to ensure that that's included in that, that's something that we can look at ahead of time. And if there is a need for any discussion or clarification or revision or if it's simply as everybody read it and in agreement, then it can be simply a check the box at the retreat, but it could be as part of that pre-read.

Lorna: Thank you, Jaime. I think that's a good suggestion. All right.

Angela: I have a question on that.

Lorna: Yes.

Angela: Angela Rose for the record. So, when we do reappointments of the board members we typically just like send an email on behalf of the council person or the person who's appointed that individual and ask if they want to, like, re-sign or re-appointed and we don't go over any additional documentation. That's something that you, the board, would like done at all reappointments. Or do you feel like if we go over it at the retreat once a year, then the reappointment comes and we just assume that everyone's in agreement? Just wanna get your thoughts on that.

Lorna: Well, I'd love to hear what others think. Should that be part of the reappointment paperwork? Every time we reappoint, we do it, or just an annual reminder at the board retreats suffices? Or do we...?

Dachresha: It should be every time we're reappointed. And I was going to suggest as well that I like the reminder because especially if we have people transitioning in and out of the board, then prior would be

beneficial to just go over to make sure everybody understands their expectations and what they've agreed to be a part of.

Lorna: This is Lorna. Thank you for that, Dachresha. I agree with you. You know, as a principal, every single year I made sure that everybody got the handbook no matter how many years they'd been with me. And they always signed every year that they read it and they agreed to what they were responsible for. And as a principal supervisor, I did the same kind of thing. Just good for all of us to remember what we're agreeing to. All right. So yes, if we could include that from now on and a reappointment pack, I think it sounds like the board thinks that would be a great idea.

Angela: Thank you.

Lorna: The other thing that we talked about last year, and I think this is important and it gives Miriam time now that she knows it's coming to think about it, is basically just an opportunity for her to express to us any needs she has from us. Like does she need support in a different way? Is there anything specifically she's been, you know, wanting to ask for it but, you know, didn't know if it was appropriate. This will give her an opportunity in a less formal setting to let us know her needs from us. So, I think we definitely want to continue with that. Are there members of the board that would like a review of the school's instructional model? I know we did that last year at the board retreat because we have a lot of people who are not educators on the board and we felt that it was important at least last year to make sure that that was reviewed by Miriam so that we all understood what the model was for the school. And I'm wondering, do we need maybe a brief reminder or do you all feel comfortable now with what our instructional model is?

Dachresha: The non-educator, I'm always open to a reminder.

Lorna: Perfect. I'll keep it on the agenda.

Dachresha: Okay.

Lorna: Yeah. I just don't wanna make people feel like they're bored or something with getting the same information, but I think it's always important for us to remind ourselves why we do what we do. So, we'll go ahead and leave that on. We also had a section on our agenda, the retreat last year for professional development and board training. So, the instructional model is part of that. Also, every year we really need to just get a reminder of board governance, open meeting law, any recent legislation that may have changed, and also any forward assessments or anything like that we've done. At that time, I know I shared it electronically, but our assessment or end-of-the-year report from BoardOnTrack, I could share that at that time. Is there any other training, Colleen, as our board council, that you know that has been added or that we should add or...? I mean this doesn't have to be an exhaustive list, but...

Colleen: Colleen McCarty, board council. Yeah. And I can do just quicker versions or more of a refresher course. There probably won't be much yet with regard to legislation because it's really too early to have to bill drafts flying around. But I'll check in with the Charter School Authority to see what they're monitoring. And then I know, if I remember last time, you know, we thought BoardOnTrack was gonna do more of a sort of overview of what the actual results of, you know, our survey was and that didn't really happen. So, I don't know if that's something we can ask them more specifically to do or if it's something maybe one of you want to try and do to dig into it a little bit more.

Lorna: Okay. I can do that. What I can do is I can reach out to Gina and ask her to do an overview of our end-of-the-year results and also anything like comparison between our self-assessment that we did last year before the retreat and our end-of-the-year results and maybe any recommended areas for improvement. Okay.

Angela: Or have one of them do it. Maybe someone from BoardOnTrack.

Lorna: Sorry. Yes. Thank you, Angela. I apologize. This is Lorna. That's who I meant when I said Gina. She is from BoardOnTrack. She's our liaison from there. And I was thinking I would reach out to her and ask her to do that, but give her more specifics because last year she was not in line with what our expectations were. And maybe it was because I didn't explain it well enough. All right. We'll see once I do that, if there's a need to keep to getting the most out of BoardOnTrack.

I hope you all are going into BoardOnTrack and looking at it and using it. I know I have been, I know Jaime has been, and I hope others of you have. Because there is a lot of good information there. Also, one of the reasons that we as a board decided to purchase BoardOnTrack is because we are required every year to do training throughout the year, about 12 hours of training. And when you go into BoardOnTrack, they have monthly training there that you can log into and do on your own time, aside from anything formal that we do. And so that's just a good opportunity for each one of us to log into the stuff that interests us and to achieve that goal that's required.

Jaime: This is Jaime Gonzales for the record. So, I'm gonna be that kid in school who gets all the cheers from his classmates with this suggestion. Perhaps at the board meeting, we can, as each individual board member, have gone into BoardOnTrack and have gone, or, you know, looked at or taken one of the trainings and do a two-minute, "Here's what I got out of this, here's why I'd recommend this, here's what this training..." Just a quick report back to the rest of the board to A, sort of check the box that we've done something, and B, sort of share something that might be of interest to others or what we got out of it ourselves. So, don't throw a thing.

Lorna: This is Lorna. I love the idea. Actually, the best way to learn is by teaching others. So, I love that idea. There are others who I feel like no way. It's just that yeah, it's a good idea. Jaime's covering his head for those who can't see him on the camera because he's afraid. But you don't need to be afraid. No one is throwing anything at you.

Alee: How long are those trainings?

Lorna: Most of them are fairly short. They're an hour or less. Yeah. Most of them are about 45 minutes to an hour at the most. Yeah, they're short. Okay. So, I'll send a reminder out to everyone, but that's a good recommendation and hopefully, we can all commit to at least doing that. Or the alternative would be to go in and take a look at some resources on BoardOnTrack and maybe share something you learned about the resources.

Jaime: Exactly. Yeah.

Lorna: So, I'll send that reminder to everyone. And actually, I like that better than having someone from BoardOnTrack do, like, an informational, "Here's how you use our system," because that was not helpful to us last year. All right. We also want data analysis, and this is something that I was wondering, Missy, if

you can help, Miriam, with is creating just like our end-of-the-year data reports for us to share at the board meeting. We shared i-Ready and map data and we have language data now too.

Alee: And this year we'll have lots of links.

Lorna: Yes. So, if we could have that data ready for us to analyze the report, which will lead us into goal setting for the coming year. So, that's going to help us out with knowing what are some goals we wanna set, what we wanna set as our goals as a board, what we wanna set as the school's goals for the coming year. And it will also help us to lead us into helping work together to set goals for Miriam to achieve next year, which means she's part of the conversation saying, "This is what I wanna work on, this is what I'd like to see...you know, how I'd like to grow professionally too." So, we'll leave that on as well. And then instead of creating committees, we wanna do committee and board priority work. Correct?

So, this is where we would have our evaluation work. We know we already heard from policies that we need to have some time set aside for them to do work with us in setting maybe some additional board committees as well as... We did not create an academic excellence or finance committee this year, maybe, or maybe not. That's something we wanna move forward. But what we may need is to have anything from facilities at that time as well. And I missed one. Oh, outreach. So, I'll include each of the four committees as a separate agenda item so that way each committee has their time within the day to share what we need to do, any discussion or work we need to. The whole idea is that this is a day to approach the work and do the work that we need to do. Does that sound reasonable to everybody? Have we missed something? Is there something else we should add?

Jaime: Jaime Gonzalez for the record...

Dachresha: Dachresha for the record. Sounds like we've kind of covered most areas that we typically talk about.

Lorna: Thank you, Dachresha. Jaime.

Jaime: Jaime Gonzalez for the record. Do we know where we're gonna hold the retreat? And as a suggestion, and I don't know if this is possible, do we do it at the school? And is there something at the school that with all of us there, whether it be like a little field trip, are there things that we should be seeing that if we haven't been to the school in a long time that we should, you know, take a look at?

Angela: Angela Rose for the record. The improvements on the second floor of the main building will be happening during that time, but the church building, there's space in there, right? Miriam, what are you thinking?

Miriam: We're hoping because we just found out that we have to remove all the furniture from the upstairs. So we're trying to make sure that we have places to put the furniture so that we don't have to move into the cafeteria building because that's where we're planning on having ESY. So we should be able to host.

Lorna: So, what you're hearing is there's going to be a lot of construction going on and they're going to have to put furniture in storage in places, but there should be a room available.

Miriam: Yes. We're thinking so. We won't know until... So, the day after the last day of school, we have to start moving all the furniture out of the second floor.

Jaime: So, Jaime Gonzalez for the record. I told you it's a suggestion, maybe we ought to have a plan A and a plan B and maybe use the plan B as the one that we go with, whether it's here at City Hall first and then get a report closer to the date as to whether or not it's feasible, whether it's gonna be conducive, atmospherically, you know, so that we're not interrupted or we're interrupting workers and things like that. And then we could finalize closer to the actual date.

Lorna: Thank you. Was there a room already available here at City Hall for this date or no?

Colleen: We haven't had one here yet. So we can work on that for sure.

Jaime: Maybe the mayor's office at that point, do you know?

Lorna: Sure. All right. So we will plan it this time for it to be here at City Hall unless we find out that there really is room available at the school, which would be a great opportunity for us all to go to the school and be there. And our goal, our future goal is that we might want to be able to start holding our board meetings at the school once we get all the technology and everything worked out there. All right. If between herein and July 25th, we all think of other topics that we need to add to the agenda, please let me know and we can definitely add them at that time. Also, Miriam, if there's anything that you're seeing that we have a deadline on that we need to get in, knowing that we may or may not have an August meeting because of this date, then let me know if we need to add those things as well, like just some general board agenda items.

Colleen: Colleen McCarty, board council. Is there anything that you all as far as like goals for next year are thinking about that might require a little research on my part ahead of time?

Lorna: No.

Colleen: Okay.

Lorna: No, I think... This is Lorna. I think to me the goals that I have had in mind have been around, you know, continuing our enrollment and also making sure we're meeting our academic goals that we've set forward. And to me those are some of the biggest goals that I've had in my mind, but...

Miriam: Okay.

Lorna: All right. At this time then, unless anyone has anything further for the discussion of the agenda for the board retreat, we can move to item number five. This is facilities. It's a report by the city of Las Vegas regarding the status of renovations and new construction at Strong Start Academy. So Angela, we'll turn it over to you. And I know you already kind of gave us a little bit of information, but...

Angela: That's okay. Angela Rose for the record. So our construction and facility updates, we talked about the floor and the church building was completed on April 1st, so we've been able to slowly start moving the school back into using those spaces. Our design team, including city of Las Vegas staff architects and Miriam when available, we meet weekly to go over the tenant improvement second story

project as well as the brand new building. So, that's a weekly meeting that we do just to make sure that everybody is on the same page and that we're ahead of schedule or on schedule at least if possible.

Our tenant through an expansion went out to bid and was awarded back in March. We had our pre-construction meeting on April 25th. So, we were able to meet with the construction team, they're called [inaudible 00:50:54], and they were able to kind of go through their construction schedule. They know we are on a tight timeframe, we do not have lots of wiggle room and so they've already gone ahead and secured some of the, like, materials that have a longer lead time. They've opted for different flooring when they couldn't find certain materials. And so I'm really hoping that stays on track.

That is set to begin the day after Memorial Day. So, Miriam has four days to move out everything after the 20th and school gets out. Thank you so much for that. They wanted to do it sooner, but I was like, "You need to give people time to move things." So working with her team, I'll make sure we have a plan for all of that material. And then as that's going on in conjunction, we will be demoing the pastor house in June of 2024. So, that will be a one-week abatement.

They'll have to do some asbestos testing and everything and then they'll take down the pastor's house demo including the wall behind it that backs up to LVA. So, we are meeting with the LVA team on Tuesday. They have a standing construction meeting as well. We happen to have the same architects and construction team working on it right now on their expansion projects. And so we are going to meet with them to make sure that they know about the demo of the block wall. They will lose eight spaces for about three weeks while the abatement, the demo happens. It's in the middle of summer, so they're not too worried about it, but it still is included in their properties. They just wanna be a good neighbor. They have a new principal this year, correct?

Miriam: Yes.

Angela: So, just wanna make sure we keep that communication like wide open. And then the expansion project was approved at the planning commission and at city council. So, the bid will go out in June of 2024 and they anticipate a start date of September 2024. The only thing, there's a material called a switchgear that holds all of the eight-track equipment together. Those are having really long lead times and so we're trying to get ahead of that by procuring one or ordering one on the city's budget now and then figuring out the money afterward because again, we don't have a lot of lead time to waste on that project either. So any questions about facilities?

Lorna: This is Lorna. The only question I have is, Miriam, I don't know if it's more a question or a comment, it might be helpful to you to consider maybe hiring some movers or someone to help you with moving some of that work. I don't know if you've considered that. I know I did quite a few moves with the school district when we were moving [inaudible 00:53:39] to the area service centers and stuff and there were some movers that we used that were really helpful, and I know you guys are strong and teachers move stuff and I know what we do, but just a suggestion because it might help you.

Miriam: Well, last year... Miriam Benitez for the record, we thought this was gonna happen last year so we crammed everything into like the special ed room. We found all of these nooks and crannies upstairs and we crammed, crammed, crammed, and then it didn't happen. So, I think we'll be okay. Whatever doesn't fit, we have the elevator. But Tuesday... So Monday is a half day and then Tuesdays is a teacher

work day. So, we've got really amazing teachers that are willing to help all of us pitching in. And then we'll see where we're at at the end of Tuesday and then we can always look to hire someone if we need help. But I think we'll be okay.

Lorna: Okay. Just a thought.

Miriam: Yes. Thank you.

Lorna: You're welcome. Any questions? Other questions with regard to facilities? All right. Then we'll move to item B. This is a report by the city of Las Vegas regarding the status security review at Strong Start Academy. Angela.

Angela: Okay. Angela Rose again for the record. So, I shared it last month. I don't have any more updates from last month, but I'll just kind of go through the first operation. We did submit the capital improvement project funding request for 500,000 to cover the cost of all of the security enhancements that were recommended by our city marshals. That estimate came on the back. So when we submitted the Department of Justice grant that we did not get, so we still submitted the 500,000. We have not been told yet if we are gonna be awarded it or not. We also are trying to prioritize based on the availability of funding, the highest cost of facility upgrades is in the security infrastructure, badging, getting new security card badges, attaching it to the network that the marshals then monitor. So, that's about a 325,000 chunk of the 500,000 is just that infrastructure work.

So, we really do need a big investment in that. Other than that, we do have the security film on the windows. We talked about doing new locks and some mitigation things. So, we are working on some of the low-hanging fruit, but we will have to have a long-term plan for that giant chunk to really ensure security. In the expansion project design, we are talking about again, how do we link all systems together. So the fire marshals went out and walked the school today to make sure that the first and second buildings are already linked with the new tenant improvement projects and that all of these systems are talking to each other, that then will have to link to the third building as well.

So, we're trying to sneak in the expansion project any cost we can as well. Because as that budget comes to us and that cost estimate, if it comes in under what we already have allocated funding-wise, we might be able to put some of that in there. So, we're really looking at all different options. But again, hopefully, this month we'll have our finalized budget to know what has been awarded and what's not, and then we can start going after hard costs. We are also anticipating a little bit of an inflation of costs since our last cost estimate. We submitted the grant last year, but it shouldn't be any huge markup like 20%, 30%. So, trying to figure out how to piece this together. But that 325,000 is a big chunk. And that's going to kind of wrap the whole thing together, really make it to where an incident happens and an alert immediately goes to our DPS marshals and they're able to respond and/or contact Metro if it's, you know, something that requires more support. So, that's kind of what our end goal is.

Lorna: Okay. Thank you, Angela. Any questions for Angela with regard to the security updates? Okay. Hearing none, we appreciate that. And we will move on to item number six. This is Citizens' Participation. Public comment during this portion of the agenda must be limited to matters within the jurisdiction of the board. No subject may be acted upon by the board unless that subject is on the agenda and is scheduled for action. If you wish to be heard, come forward and give your name for the

record. The amount of discussion as well as the amount of time any single speaker is allowed will be limited to two minutes absent board approval. Public comment may also be given by calling 141 5655 0001 and entering access code number 2662 249 6166 followed by #. And I see no public comment. So, with that, we will adjourn the meeting at this time. It is 6:03 p.m. Thank you everyone for your participation and we will see you at our next meeting.

Jaime: And Happy Mother's Day.

Lorna: Happy Mother's Day to all the mothers.

Alee: I have a question for you Jaime and Lorna. So, this is what I see. Take this because think it was supposed to be a [inaudible 00:59:03] and I just want to make sure, because the way that these asked questions, what do you think the city is supposed be...?

Jaime: Hold one second.

Alee: Yeah. So is that one I'm supposed to...